A Day Trip to Sites in the Tees Valley
Saturday 20th October 2012
The coach departed from just west of the portico of Newcastle Central Station at 8.45 am.
Lartington Hall has grown over the centuries and we have the opportunity to see it before some major conservation works are undertaken next year. It has a date of 1635 on the porch door way, the chapel and west wing are late C17. During the C19 the hall was enlarged by Bonomi (possibly) and Hansom.
Gainford Hall manor house, circa 1603, was for built John Cradock the parish vicar. The Hall is highly sophisticated in plan and elevation and has been tentatively attributed to Robert Smythson. We also had time to walk around the remarkable Gainford village green.
We spent a short time at the ruins of Egglestone Abbey before visiting St Mary's Church, Barnard Castle, with its topical Richard III connections.
A soup and sandwich pub lunch are provided.
We endeavour to get back to Newcastle for 7.00 pm.